Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Developing a Performance Management Culture

What are the most important factors in regard to the development of a Performance Management culture?

We have been working with companies for over five years focusing on the performance and productivity of their management team and staff. It really boils down to the following ten factors:

  1. I have a complete understanding of the definition of my role and responsibilities associated with the assigned job position.
  2. The work environment has given me all the tools that I need to be a high achiever in the job position.
  3. I have a complete understanding of the workplace expectations outlined by my immediate supervisor.
  4. I have a complete understanding of the strategy (Vision, Mission, and Purpose) of the company and know what makes a difference in the marketplace with our customer.
  5. I have the information and metrics to monitor my progress toward my goals.
  6. I am aware of the market conditions and financial stability of the company at all times.
  7. I find the performance appraisal process in my company the most effective means to self-evaluate myself and measure my progress toward my goals.
  8. My supervisor is available to discuss any work related concern.
  9. People at my company are interested in my career development.
  10. I am willing to accept responsibility for my actions and be held accountable for my results. I understand that my compensation should be based on results, both the company’s and mine.

    If your employee can attest to the previous statements, then you should have a Performance based culture.

    I find it hard to believe that the management teams of companies cannot deliver on those ten criteria. Is it that we don’t know how to have this culture or our supervisor is just not holding us accountable?

No comments: